Username Password: Remember me

.400 Holland & Holland
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: .400 Holland & Holland

.400 Holland & Holland 4 years, 4 months ago #2383

• Albie Fourie
Hi all,

Only having limited experience with big bores I am contemplating having a .400 H&H build in stead of a .375 H&H. I would however appreciate any information that can assist me in making the decision as the whole licencing process requires one to be extra diligent.

Thanks

Re:.400 Holland & Holland 4 years, 4 months ago #2384

• Peter Viljoen
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Peter V
Hi Albie,

Am assuming you have other rifles and are looking to fill a big bore requirement. What you intend doing with it ito hunting species and conditions will have a bearing on caliber and rifle choice so if you would provide this info it will help on any advice from fellow forum members here.

For what its worth, herewith some info on the caliber that has caught your interest;

Holland & Holland introduced the .400 H&H Magnum in 2003 with the intended purpose of hunting large and dangerous game animals. Holland & Holland didn’t make the .400 H&H Magnum cartridge available until 2008 in the United States. The cartridge works in a standard or magnum length action like the .375 H&H but avoids the pressure and heat related problems of the .416 Remington Magnum cartridge.

From their reports Holland & Holland has experienced increasing numbers of enquiries for big bore rifles especially for hunting big and dangerous game in Africa. It was also arguably created in response to critiques of the .375 H&H Magnum as not being completely reliable (yet remaining very popular) against dangerous game, particularly elephant in certain conditions.

Holland & Holland designed the cartridge to utilize medium case pressures and intended the cartridge for hot African climates. The .400 H&H Magnum cartridge case possesses slightly tapered shoulders for reliable bolt-action feeding. Holland & Holland also sought to keep muzzle blast and recoil manageable and to negate the need for barrel porting or muzzle brakes.

Building on their experience with the peerless all round African hunting cartridge the .375 H&H Magnum they sought to create two new cartridges with more power and provide more leeway for the very largest game. The new cartridges designed for bolt action rifles do not offer light bullets and high velocity instead concentrating on the formula of heavy bullets and bullet diameter to do the job.

Factory trajectory tables computed for a rifle with a telescopic sight mounted 1.5" over the bore indicate that, with a zero aiming point of 175 yards, the .400 H&H Magnum rifle bullet will deviate no more than 2" above or below the line of sight from the muzzle to 200 yards. This gives the .400 H&H Magnum a more than adequate maximum point blank range (+/- 2") of 200 yards.[1]
Holland & Holland introduced the larger .465 H&H Magnum, almost simultaneously, with 400 H&H Magnum in 2003.

Specifications

Bullet diameter: .411 in (10.4 mm)
Rim diameter: .532 in (13.5 mm)
Rim thickness: .220 in (5.6 mm)
Case length: 2.850 in (72.4 mm)
Overall length: 3.50 in (89 mm)
Primer type: large rifle magnum

Ballistic Performance

Bullet weight/type: 400-gr (26 g) Factory load Velocity (MV): 2,375 fps (724 mps) Energy(ME): 5,011 ft-lb (6,794 J)

In comparison, the .375 H&H propels a 300 gr bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2,500 ft/sec for a muzzle energy of 4,100 ft lbs.

Due to the large choice of comparable safari calibers on the market and the high prices (aprox. US$200.00 or more per box in 2008), the demands remained low and select.

For the same reason, outside the gunsmiths of Holland & Holland the only custom rifle smiths are the only option for building a rifle in this caliber.

Given its relative newness and uniqueness, hand loading will be the only practical option and reloading components may not always be easy to obtain locally. Midway in the USA supplies Brass and a variety of bullets are available. Eitherway, owners of rifles in this caliber will need to be fairly dedicated and committed to get the most out of it.

Attached pic shows .400 H&H versus .300 H&H. Come to think of it, this would be a very nice combo for a 2 rifle safari

.jpg

Regards, Peter
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal" Henry Ford

Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by Peter Viljoen.

Re:.400 Holland & Holland 4 years, 4 months ago #2385

• Albie Fourie
Hi Peter,

Thanks for all that information, and yes I own a .300 H&H (.243 Win, .300 H&H & .303 Epps). I initially planned on acquiring a .375 H&H as a twin for my .300 H&H and to use for the large antelope at moderate distances.

Due in part to the whole unpleasantness of aquiring a license for a rifle with the associated motivations, I was thinking that instead of acquiring a .375 H&H to rather step it up and then use the .400 H&H in its place for similar applications. I know that over penetration with standard loads might be a problem on the large antelope species, which for now will be my main interests, and also that it has a bit more recoil, but will it not be a good enough option with 350 grain bullets for such applications? I reload for my other rifles and believe that it will provide me with more flexability if I own such a cartridge (also more economical, especially when using cases formed from .375 H&H cases).

Re:.400 Holland & Holland 4 years, 3 months ago #2392

• Peter Viljoen
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Peter V
Hi Albie.

Do understand your thinking. If keen on a ".40 class" rifle you could always consider some of the classics like the .404 Jeff and .416 Rigby.

Still, as I remarked earlier, the .400 and .300 H&H's would make for a nice combination.

Regards,

Peter
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal" Henry Ford

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds